Category Archives for "Board Meetings"

Nov 10

2018.11.08 Monthly Board Meeting Minutes

THE VILLAGE AT CORDATA CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION
MONTHLY BOARD MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 8, 2018

The meeting was called to order by President Larry Allen at ten a.m. All members of the Board were present: Claire Gatter, Henry Mitchell, Katie Sherwood, Barbara Fletcher, Bob Rose, Dan Keller, Toni Whitmyre and Lana Mills. Twenty-one residents attended.

The Minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Toni Whitmyre
The O&M bank balance as of October 31 was $23,227 and the Replacement fund balance was $72,785 for a total of $96,012. The internal audit is complete.

BUILDINGS AND ROADS: John Eisenhardt
There is one pending work order.
John asked the Board to approve $9,783, which includes tax, for the job of gutter cleaning to be done by Cordova Construction LLC. A motion was made and seconded and approved to accept the bid. (Unit cost about $80.00 each.)
B&R has been inspecting and removing debris from crawl spaces.
Work is being done on a master plan for our drainage problems. In the meantime, Peter discovered a “rotor rooter” in the woodshop and was able to use it on a clogged pipe. (Peter has worked with a rotor rooter in the past.)

CLUBHOUSE: Jackie Smith
No report.

CONDO SALES: Lana Mills
Barbara Moore at 4860B North Village Lane has sold her unit to Mrs. Hazel Richardson, which is scheduled to close on November 16. There are five units currently rented out.

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: Larry Allen
Larry has posted on the bulletin board, the notes from last month’s EP meeting.
On November 15 at ten a.m. in the clubhouse, another “Map Your Neighborhood” meeting will be held to inform new residents about emergency preparedness. Residents who would like a refresher are invited to attend as well.

DOCUMENTS AND REVISIONS: Henry Mitchell
No report. (This committee is still looking for a volunteer to take over for Henry.)

LANDSCAPING: Bubs Kroll
Todd and his crew are applying fall fertilizer today ahead of the predicted rain. The fertilizer is pet safe, but Todd recommends keeping pets off the grass for a day or so. Yesterday, Todd took 2-1/2 tons of yard waste to the recycle center. Unfortunately, the crew encountered more doggie piles in two neighbor’s yards. The homeowners were notified.
Toni received a “request” from the City of Bellingham for VACCA to remove tree branches along Kellogg to a height of 15 feet. The crew immediately took care of it. The City crew happened to drive by while the work was being done and give our guys thumbs up!

POOL AND SPA: Paul Grey
The facilities were up and running 100% this month. The spa water was replaced due to excessive foaming (cause unknown) and now a defoaming agent is being added. One new sign has been installed with two more to come.

SECURITY: Bob Rose
No incidents.
Our own Don Keller, will be giving a personal safety presentation in the clubhouse on November 27 at 2 p.m. Don is a retired deputy sheriff in Los Angeles County and a martial arts instructor.

The community safety talk given by BPD Officer Dante Alexander and Michelle Thomas, 911 dispatcher, on October 30 was very well attended by VACCA residents. Among their advice was to always keep your car free of any visible items as if it was a brand-new vehicle, and lock the doors. Keep it in the garage with the door closed, unless you are present in the garage. If you are questioning something you see in the area, call 911. No call is unimportant to the dispatchers and the more calls, the more patrols. Calling 911, we were told, if you “think it, do it”.

RV LOT: David Blackshaw
The lot is in good shape. David asks for a volunteer to take over for him for the months of January, March and April while he is out of town.

SOCIAL: Pat Hood
Thirty-one people have signed up the Harvest Dinner tonight. On Sunday, November 11, in the clubhouse, a 97th Birthday Party for Oren Key. Everyone is invited.
November 13th, Ladies luncheon at Mikanos,
November 14, happy hour in the clubhouse
November 26, November and December Birthdays party
November 29, Out to Dinner group
Sign-up sheets are in the clubhouse.

WEBSITE: Henry Mitchell
Another website training session will be held later this month. The date and time will be announced.

WELCOME: Carol Haselden
The Committee called on one new resident, now only one to go.

WOODSHOP: Roy Teeter
Roy expects the balance of the new lights will be installed soon.
A resident with a problem of frozen meat that was cut too large brought it to the woodshop. One of the electric saws was scrubbed and then used to reduce the portions. Ingenuity! Always something new going on at the woodshop.

OLD BUSINESS:
Last month each Board member received copies of the proposed 2019 budget and the 2018 Reserve Study in order to study them. A meeting was also held along with the budget committee to answer any questions.
Today, Larry asked for a vote to accept the 2018 Reserve Study. A motion was made, seconded and passed. Board approval of the 2019 budget followed. Copies of the budget will be sent to all owners within 5-7 days to prepare for the annual budget vote on December 19. Dan Keller and Larry are working on a presentation packet. On December 6 at the ten a.m. coffee hour, a presentation is planned to answer everyone’s questions about next year’s budget and the reserve study.

Larry thanked Dan for all his work on the Reserve Study and the new budget. He also thanked Henry for chairing the budget committee and the rest of the resident volunteers who worked so diligently on the budget.
*****
Ron Dickerson, who has overseen our insurance matters would like to hand off the job to someone else. We are asking for a volunteer.
*****
NEW BUSINESS:
The Board is seeking our attorney’s advice on our contract with Scott, our house painter. The Board approved contacting the attorney. His advice is expected to be less that $500.
*****
Pat Bergner has agreed to head the Nominating Committee for new Board members in 2019. She will be looking for volunteers to run for office with the election at our annual meeting in March.
*****
Don Keller discovered that his garage door could be opened without the use of the remote when the door was thought to be locked. Overhead Door was called and the problem was corrected. Don wants other residents to be aware of this and check their own door to make sure it cannot be raised manually when closed by the remote.
*****
Puget Sound Energy performed a free energy audit at Don’s unit and replaced all his old light bulbs with new LED bulbs, free of charge.
Contact PSE to take advantage of this valuable service.

There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 10:54 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Lana Mills, Secretary

Next Meetings: December 6 at ten a.m. coffee hour for budget talk

December 13 Monthly Board meeting Ten a.m.

December 19 Annual budget meeting, voting from 6:30-7 p.m.
Meeting begins while votes are being counted.

4

Nov 04

2018.10.11 Monthly Board Meeting Minutes

THE VILLAGE AT CORDATA CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION
MONTHLY BOARD MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 11, 2018

The meeting was called to order by President Larry Allen at ten a.m. Present were Board members: Barbara Fletcher, Claire Gatter, Katie Sherwood, Bob Rose, Dan Keller, Toni Whitmyre, Henry Mitchell and Lana Mills. Twenty-four residents also attended.

The Minutes from the September 13 meeting were approved as written.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Toni Whitmyre
The O&M fund balance at September 30 was $40,787 and the Replacement fund was $58,476 for a total of $99,263. Ron Beall has done the monthly audit.

BUILDINGS AND ROADS: John Eisenhardt
Twenty-two work orders were completed. Work was done in crawl spaces, including replacing insulation, installing three new crawlspace covers and repairing vent screens.
A serious drainage problem was fixed at 4630B Village Drive. Other drainage issues are still being addressed, but Boss Construction is no longer involved.
Two clubhouse windows need replacing, John is seeking bids.
Window replacement guidelines and the phasing explanation papers are available in the clubhouse.
*****John urges residents to cover outside faucets against freezing and install your Styrofoam vent covers.

CLUBHOUSE: Jackie Smith
A Certificate from the Bellingham Fire Dept. has been posted on the bulletin board in the poolroom. Peter fixed the entry light, a new mat has been placed at the entry and the furnace has been inspected.

CONDO SALES: No report

DOCUMENTS AND REVISIONS: No report

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: Larry Allen
Larry’s report of last month’s meeting has been posted on the bulletin board in the clubhouse.

LANDSCAPING: Bubs Kroll
The irrigation lines are expected to be blown out in the next week or so.
Fall fertilizer will be spread on the grass after a mow and hopefully,
just before a rainfall.
*****PLEASE! Clean up after your dog! The landscape crew came across several dog piles when mowing this week. It gets in the mowers and causes problems, as you can imagine.
Our appreciation to Naomi DeGolier for donating shrubs to VACCA. Homes will be found for them. Thank you, Naomi.

POOL AND SPA: Paul Grey
(Paul was unable to attend the meeting, but provided the Board with his written report.)
Uptime for the pool and spa this month was 100%.
The cover has been installed over the pool to preserve heat.
P&S committee voted to not request monies to buy and install an auto shut-off for the spa jets. The cost was estimated to be $450. Instead, the chairman will be preparing a new sign over the jet control button to remind users to shut off the jets when exiting.
A new sign has been posted by the spa with instructions for putting the cover on.

RV LOT: No report

SECURITY: Bob Rose
10/8/18 Car Prowl:
Returning home at 4:30 AM Greg Young and his mother Pat
(4259 A Village Drive) noted an older white Honda Accord following them down Village Drive from the clubhouse. When he reached home, Greg saw that the following car had paused to check out a white Nissan Rogue SUV, belonging to Kristine Kincaid (4355A Village Dr.), the hatchback of which had been inadvertently left open. Greg shouted at the car’s occupants and the vehicle left
the Village with Greg in pursuit. He obtained the license plate number and reported it to 911, but as he parked at his home again, he noted that the suspicious car had returned to Kristine’s SUV. Fortunately, the Police told Greg to stand down, arrived promptly, and notified Kristine of the open hatchback, so no harm was done. The worrisome car left the Village, but fortunately the police have its license plate number. (case # 18B60465, Officer Longbottom)

SOCIAL: Pat Hood
Papa Nick’s Italian dinner will be in the clubhouse on October 20. Attendance is limited to 48 people so get signed up soon for this good food, provided by Nick’s family, using his restaurant’s recipe.
On October 25, the “Out to Dinner” will be going to the Bellwether and
There will be a Halloween party on October 31. Costumes are optional, but a prize will be awarded for the best.

WEBSITE: Henry Mitchell
Henry’s “Intro to VACCA’s Website” workshop was well attended and everyone went home with log-ins, passwords and now easy access to VACCA.life. Henry is planning another workshop in the next two to three weeks for those who missed this one.
Bob Rose advised that when searching the website for Security Incident Reports, click on the orange dot right beside the word “Security”. Clicking on “Security” will not get you where you want to go. (Henry will research this little glitch.)

WELCOME: Sharon Rood
The Welcome Committee called on two new residents and has one more to go.

WOODSHOP: Roy Teeter
Ten volunteers helped at the woodshop to install fifteen new LED light fixtures to replace four eight-foot florescent light fixtures. Nine more LED’s are left to install, probably next year.
Keys to everyone’s woodshop are available, just ask Roy. Take advantage of this splendid asset for all your projects and keep your garage clean.

OLD BUSINESS:
Dan Keller reported that the Reserve Study update is complete. New line-items have been added to the chart to better itemize the projects previously designated “Other”. A meeting is being planned to answer any questions residents may have. Next year’s update of the Reserve Study will be done professionally, the Board has decided.
*****
Henry Mitchell reported that the 2019 Budget is finished and presented the Board with printouts so that they can study it before a vote by the Board next month to accept or reject the numbers.
If the Board votes to accept the budget at the November 8 Board meeting, within five days, all owners will be given a printed copy of the budget.
At the coffee hour in the clubhouse on December 6, members of the Board will be on hand to answer any questions from owners about the budget.
On December 19th, the annual Budget Meeting will be held for all owners to vote on the proposed budget.
Henry thanked the volunteers who gave their time to work on the 2019 Budget Committee.
*****
An Amendment to the Rules and Regulations was proposed as follows:
Visitors may park in the Guest Parking for no more than 72 hours. Longer term visitors can use their host’s garage or driveway, or have the resident contact the RV Lot Committee Chairman to arrange for space in the RV lot.
The Amendment was moved, seconded and approved by the Board.
*****
Pat Hood said that some people are parking on the blind curves on Village Drive causing a danger to other motorists and pedestrians.
*****
Ted Wagner said that some VACCA hydrants were not marked with a tile on the street which alerts the fire department to their location. Ted offered to look into obtaining the tiles and will report back to the Board.
*****
Claire Gatter explained that she had talked to our postal carriers and each of them said to NOT put misdirected mail into the outgoing mail slot. Pin any misdelivered mail to the small cork board between the mailboxes. (Formerly marked “for Board use only”)
*****
Ron Dickerson has asked for a volunteer to take over overseeing VACCA’s insurance coverage. It does not require much time and Ron will be happy to help with questions. Email Ron at [email protected] if you are interested in taking this on.
*****

There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Lana Mills, Secretary

The next meeting is on November 8

1

Sep 18

2018.09.13 Monthly Board Meeting Minutes

THE VILLAGE AT CORDATA CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION
MONTHLY BOARD MEETING MINUTES
September 13, 2018

The meeting was called to order by President Larry Allen at ten a.m. Present were Board members: Claire Gatter, Henry Mitchell, Bob Rose, Toni Whitmyre, Katie Sherwood, Dan Keller, Barbara Fletcher, and Lana Mills. Twenty-two residents also attended.

The Minutes from the August 9 meeting were approved as written.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Toni Whitmyre
The O&M fund balance at the end of August was $11,962 and the Replacement fund was $58,891 for a total of $70,853. The in-house audit is complete for July 31, 2018.

BUILDINGS AND ROADS: John Eisenhardt
Two outstanding work orders will be completed by the end of this month, involving windows and skylights, approved by the Board last month.
Scott, the painter, completed a walk-about with John and Pat Bergner inspecting Scott’s work. Some caulking was found to be faulty and Scott will be fixing it. John will contact Scott about providing an updated contract for next year that includes less units(to match our phase III list) and adds a privacy fence.
Work was done in the crawl space at 4750 and new screens were installed on the foundation vents at 4553.
Drainage solutions are still being addressed by Boss Construction. In the meantime, Cordova Construction will fix the flooding problems at 4630B Village Drive.
Peter, the handyman, has returned from vacation.
*****This committee needs volunteers. It is not a one-man job. Please, if you can help, contact John.

CLUBHOUSE: Jackie Smith
Two fire extinguishers have been serviced and a new one purchased and installed in the pool area. Thank you, Bruce, for installing the bracket and repairing the “Exit” sign over the backdoor. The heating and air conditioning unit has had its annual maintenance.
CONDO SALES: No report

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: Larry Allen
The committee had its first meeting and the result will be posted on the clubhouse bulletin board.

DOCUMENTS AND REVISIONS: No report

LANDSCAPING: Bubs Kroll
The irrigation system has been shut off for the year due to rain. It will not be turned on again until June.
It has been suggested that anyone who would like to be involved or learn the “blowing the lines for winter” process, let Todd or Bubs know. It involves a few hours and raingear.
Fall fertilizer application upcoming in October.
Greenscapes’ contract (Todd) expires this year. It has a 3rd-year option which the landscape committee recommends we exercise. Todd is agreeable and the terms of the contract remain the same,
A vote by the Board was unanimous to extend the contract and Bubs
will prepare an agreement to be signed by Todd, Bubs, Toni and Larry, the Board President.

POOL AND SPA: Paul Grey
The exterior wall in the pool area is being anchored. New signage for the pool and spa and instructions for the machine room are in the works.

SECURITY: Bob Rose
At approximately 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning, alerted by the sound of a car, Tina Swanson on North Village Lane, saw a person testing the car doors of her neighbors. Two cars were entered and rifled, but nothing was taken. The police responded to Tina’s 911. (Case
#18B53583, Officer Lyons). Bob reminds everyone to remove valuables and lock your car doors.
The Security Planning committee has submitted a budget request for locked chain link gates at the Division street trail and June Road VACCA property entrance points, as well as new shrubbery to close the gaps in the perimeter landscaping. Some test shrubs have been planted along the buffer to the west. Faux cameras (for now), with signs, will be placed at the vehicle entrances and at the woodshop.

RV LOT: No report

SOCIAL: Pat Hood
Signup sheets are at the clubhouse bulletin board for: Monday, Sept. 24 birthday celebration at the clubhouse; out-to-dinner on Sept. 27th at Steakhouse 9 in Lynden; and on Sept. 30 the last grill-out will be held.

WEBSITE: Henry Mitchell
A website training session will be held on Wednesday, Sept 26th, at ten a.m. Bring your laptop or other device if you like (tho’ not necessary), and Henry will help you access the VACCA website and walk you through its many facets.

WELCOME: Carol Haselden
New residents, Dick and Dorothy McKenney, were visited.

WOODSHOP: Roy Teeter
At the suggestion of law enforcement, the “Woodshop” sign is gone and replaced with a security sign. Ron K will help install LED lighting. Eight fixtures will be replaced.

OLD BUSINESS:
The new Reserve Study is almost complete with just a few minor changes to be entered. A meeting is being planned to introduce and explain the Reserve Study to all residents. The date will be
announced.

NEW BUSINESS:
A committee of 14 residents has been formed to work on the 2019 budget. Henry Mitchell agreed to be chairman. The committee will meet once a week in September and present the proposed budget to the Board at the October 11 Board meeting. (Each standing committee, Landscape, B&R, etc. has already presented their funding needs request for 2019.) After careful study and adjustments, if necessary, the Board will approve the budget at the November 8th meeting.
After approval by the Board, each owner will be given printed copies of the budget. A VACCA meeting for owners hosted by the Board and the Budget Committee will be held at the December coffee (12/6) to answer any questions.
On December 19th, a vote on the budget by all owners will be held.
While the votes are being counted, the VACCA annual meeting will
begin.
*****
Officer Dante Alexander of the Bellingham Police Department has been invited to speak at a meeting of VACCA residents about safety and security. He will be accompanied by a 911 Dispatcher. Carol Haselden requested we move Officer Alexander’s presentation, which was planned for the Budget vote meeting on Dec. 19, to an earlier date which would allow more snowbirds to attend.
*****
We ask all residents who receive mail not intended for them, mark the envelope with the delivery error and put it in the outgoing mail box in the billiard room. Please do not hand deliver it and leave it
on someone’s porch or door.
*****
We are reminded that there are rules governing visitor parking. No
long-term parking is allowed. Longer than 24 hours should be done in an owner’s driveway, or garage.

There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 11:20 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Lana Mills, Secretary

4

Aug 13

2018-8-9 Board Meeting

         THE VILLAGE AT CORDATA CONDOMINIUM

                                       ASSOCIATION                                           

        MINUTES OF THE MONTHLY BOARD MEETING

                                      AUGUST 9, 2018

 

The meeting was called to order at ten a.m. by President Larry Allen.  Present were Board members:  Bob Rose, Henry Mitchell, Claire Gatter, Barbara Fletcher, Katie Sherwood, Toni Whitmyre, Dan Keller and Lana Mills.

With sadness, Larry announced the sudden passing of neighbor, Margaret Eisenhardt, wife of John, our Building & Roads Chairman.

Our condolences to John and his family.

The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Toni Whitmyre

As of July 31, the O&M fund balance was $19,928 and the Replacement fund balance was $61,962 for a total of $81,890.  The in-house audit has been done.

In early September, a 2019 Budget Committee will be formed.  Anyone interested in being a part of the committee is invited to attend.  Members must attend three or four meetings, chaired by Toni.

BUILDING AND ROADS:  Pat Bergner

Two work orders need approval.  One for a cracked skylight on West Village ($790.00) and another for a damaged window on Village Dr ($1,420.00).  The Board approved the work orders.  A new deck on East Village is approved and an air conditioning unit was also okayed.

Exterior painting is expected to finish next week.  John and Pat will do a walk-through with Scott upon completion.

Five crawl space covers and four dryer vents were replaced.

A bid of $48,000 has been received for 60 new windows for Phase 3 and completion of Phase 1 and 2.  Work to be done in 2019.

A bid was received from Boss Construction in the amount of $44,000 for correcting drainage problems along the trail in the “park” area.

A bid is pending for washing and painting on just the exteriors of some gutters in need of attention

Peter dealt with a bee problem and the homeowner and Peter will monitor the area for any further outbreaks.

CLUBHOUSE:  No report

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS:  Larry Allen

The committee will begin meeting again on September 2.  Anyone interested is invited to attend.

CONDO SALES:  Lana Mills

All sales have closed.  No units for sale at this time.  Eleven units sold in 2018 thus far.  We have five rentals, currently.

DOCUMENTS AND REVISIONS:  Henry Mitchell

Henry is still seeking a replacement chairman for this committee.

Contact Henry is you are interested.

LANDSCAPING:  Bubs Kroll

Todd and his crew are making another loop through the Village doing basic pruning.  They’ve completed North and West Village and are now working their way up Village Drive,

Todd requests that if you have any yard waste, you bag or box it and have it on the curb by noon.  After noon on Thursday, it should be put in your own garbage can.

At this point, the sprinkler system is scheduled to be shut down for the season on September 24th.  It can be delayed if this weather continues.

POOL AND SPA:  Paul Grey

The facilities are being well used this summer.  Please shower before using the pool/spa.  Rinse well as soap foam is showing up in the spa and dirt in the pool.  The committee will be washing the windows inside and out and vacuuming.  Windows that need it will be caulked with the goal of keeping the pool/spa open year round.

Nettie reports that the pool exercise classes are well attended.

Ron K. said the pump probably will last only a few more years at which time, he recommends replacing it with a whisper pump which will greatly reduce the pump noise.

RV LOT:  David Blackshaw

David is preparing a new schedule (weekly) for RV lot lockup.  Please let David know if you’d be willing to volunteer.  Pinpointing the electricity spike in the lot/woodshop in recent months is difficult and Toni reports that the Puget Sound Energy bill is now back to normal levels anyway.  The issue of muddy areas in the car wash space was discussed.  Roy said without proper drainage, the addition of more gravel will do no good in the long run.  As the problem of drainage throughout VACCA is being addressed, this area will be investigated with the rest.  Roy said there is a hose connected at the back of the woodshop which could also be used for car washing.  This hose is only available until the cold weather returns.

Also please remember to spin the lock tumblers after locking up the gate.

SECURITY:  Bob Rose

No incidents this past month.  The Security Planning Group received a bid to place gates at the June Road trail entry point and at the Division Trail entry point.  The bid was high.  Ron K is seeking other bids.  BP Officer Alexander has been invited to speak to the community some time in the next months.  He will be accompanied by a 911 call center operator.  The Security Planning Group is meeting on Tuesday, August 21 at two p.m. in the clubhouse.  Anyone wishing to weigh in on the path gating issue is welcome to attend.

Claire Gatter talked to VACCA contractors about clubhouse keys in their possession and has accounted and recorded the information.  Contractors will surrender the keys to security upon completion of their jobs.

SOCIAL:  Pat Hood

This month’s happy hour in the clubhouse was well attended and, happily, new residents joined in the fun.  Welcome Dick and Dorothy McKenney from West Village.

This month:   12th   Picnic on the Green

14th   Ladies lunch at Anthonys

26th   Grill Out

30th   Out to Dinner at Jalapenos

Please see the clubhouse bulletin board for all the information.

WEBSITE:  Henry Mitchell

Another website training class is in the planning.  Our website is

vacca.life   If you are having any trouble with the website, Henry is available and even makes house calls.

WELCOME:  Carol Haselden

Four units with new owners will be called on in September when their move-ins are complete.

WOODSHOP:  Roy Teeter

Roy thanked the Board for approving a trash can for the woodshop, he thanked whoever cleaned the bathroom and he thanked Ed for cleaning out the old paint.   Good job, everyone!

Roy, Ron and David are asking that no unauthorized items are to be “dumped” at the RVlot/woodshop.  All items going into the area must be preapproved by one of them.  And items left after 30 days will become the property of VACCA and may be disposed of.

OLD BUSINESS:

Dan Keller reported that the Reserve Study has been updated to reflect last year and this year’s figures.  John Eisenhardt has provided input (future expenses) which has also been entered.  A meeting is being planned to explain the Reserve Study.  Everyone is invited.  Dan will advise the date/time via VACCA email.

*****

In answer to Larry’s question about responsibility for the safety of residents with health issues, the VACCA lawyer assured Larry that the Association has no liability.  The lawyer also said that by adherence to our governing documents, we should have no problems.  The fee for his advice was $50.00.

*****

Larry contacted Rice Insurance with questions about a resident’s water damage and the steps necessary to get it fixed.  For repairs under $2,500, the owner is responsible for the entire payment.  The owner may make the repair using VACCA-approved contractors and submit the invoice to their insurance if they choose.  If the repair amount is over $2,500 and it’s a VACCA covered loss, VACCA will make the repair and charge the owner for VACCA’s deductible of $2,500.  The owner can then submit the $2,500 charge to their insurance company if they choose.  If the owner’s insurance company wishes to contact VACCA’s insurance company, the contact is Joe Williams at 360-734-1161.

A motion was made to adjourn the meeting at 11:15, it was seconded and approved.

Respectfully submitted,

Lana Mills, Secretary

Next meeting:  September 13, 2018

 

 

 

 

Jul 18

2018-7-12 Board Meeting

THE VILLAGE AT CORDATA CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF THE MONTHLY BOARD MEETING

JULY 12, 2018

 

The meeting was called to order at ten a.m. by President Larry Allen.  Present were Board members:  Dan Keller, Barbara Fletcher, Claire Gatter, Bob Rose, Toni Whitmyre, Katie Sherwood and Lana Mills.  Henry Mitchell was out of town.  Twenty-four residents also attended.

 

The Minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Toni Whitmyre

As of June 30, the O&M fund balance was $36,523 and the Replacement fund balance was $44,172 for a total of $80,695.  The in-house audit has been done.

 

BUILDINGS AND ROADS:  John Eisenhardt

A siding company representative is preparing a bid for siding repair, and painting, for Phase 3 (Summer 2019).  So far, the current siding looks good.  Lyndale Glass has submitted a bid for $42,000 for 50 replacement windows for Phases 1, 2, and 3.  Boss Construction is still in the process of preparing a bid to repair our drainage system.

The pipe from 4550 Village Drive to the creek has collapsed and will need to be replaced also.

Some residents are concerned that painting has not been completed on their units.  John will be making an inspection with Scott, the painter.

 

CLUBHOUSE:  No report

 

CONDO SALES:  Lana Mills

Helen Ebright’s sale to John Kirby and Patricia Carman will close on July 24, Harold and Susan Katz sale to Kenneth and Lynn Bell will close on August 1.  Six units remain rented.  No units are for sale at this time.

 

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS:  No report

DOUMENTS AND REVISIONS:  No report

 

LANDSCAPING:  Bubs Kroll

The catch basin is now completely mowed.  The crew will finish pruning on East Village and then start over with later-blooming rhodies and boxwood on North Village.  Bubs reminds everyone to be sure and submit a work-order for needed work in their yards.  Verbal requests may, probably will, be forgotten.

 

POOL AND SPA:  Paul Grey

The P&S committee met to share information and define goals, one of which is to keep the facilities open year round.  Paul is working on a pool and spa care “manual” which will be posted in the pool maintenance room.  The recent problem with the bromine levels in the pool and spa has been solved.  Paul asks that the doors into the pool area remain closed at all times for safety.  The committee is looking for another pool maintenance company as a backup for Ed.

Paul emphasized that users always please bathe before entering the pool and spa.

The spa is not to be used by children under the age of 12.  The high temperature of the water slows the heart and, for a child, it can be very dangerous.  Paul will look into updating the signage in the pool and spa area.

Since redoing the maintenance room, there is a persistent hum heard throughout the building due to a pump having been attached to a wall.  Ron K is looking into a solution.

Nettie has begun a pool exercise program being held on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11:15.   All are welcome.

 

SECURITY:  Bob Rose

On the morning of June 21, an unlocked car parked in the clubhouse parking lot near the VACCA sign was prowled and a few items, including the keys to the car, were taken.

The Security Planning team is meeting Tuesday, July 17, to continue discussing new security measures, such as blocking trail entrances into VACCA, cameras, etc.   Colleen suggested temporary badges to identify contract workers in the Village.

 

 

 

RV LOT:  David Blackshaw

The months we experienced electrical spikes in the woodshop/rvlot power bill is still a mystery, but many ideas were discussed.  Toni reports that the bill has dropped significantly, although it is still more than double last year’s amount.  David will look into the feasibility of using meters to track and charge any vehicle users of electricity.

David is installing a new lock on the gate which should make it easier to use.

 

WOODSHOP:  Roy Teeter

Roy reminds that the woodshop is open to all residents of the Village.

A motion was made, seconded and the Board approved having Sanitary Services deliver a trashcan to the woodshop/rv lot, scheduling pickup every other week.  Toni will make the arrangements.

It was noted that some contractors have keys to our woodshop and clubhouse but it was not clear who provided them.  In addition, the keys are not recorded in our key tracking system.  We will identify all keys not in our system and make sure they are added.  Also we will ensure when contractors finish their tasks, the keys are returned so they will be available for other users when needed.

 

SOCIAL:  Carol Haselden

Carol read this month’s schedule of fun activities and encouraged everyone to use the sign-up sheets in the clubhouse.

 

WEBSITE:  No report

 

WELCOME:  Carol Haselden

Four new residents will be visited when they have moved in.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

Larry questioned what ever happened to handyman Peter’s picture which was to be posted in the clubhouse.

*****

Dan reports that the 2018 Reserve Study overview has been put on a temporary hold.  A current budget concern has taken precedence.  At a committee meeting to discuss the concern, it was recommended the Board consider providing each committee having a budget (i.e. Buildings and Roads, Landscaping, Pool and Spa and Management) monthly updates on their actual expenditures so they can be aware of any anomalies as soon as they occur.  In addition, they recommended all committees having a budget gather quarterly to confirm their budgets are on track and discuss how to handle any issues that may have occurred.  The Board agreed to this plan.

 

Questions were raised by attending residents about the reserve fund balance.  Dan and Larry explained that the reserve fund drops in the summer months due to the cost of work being done in the Village, such as siding, painting, windows, sidewalk repair, etc.  In the fall, the fund will begin to rebuild.

The Board was happy to see the interest shown by residents in the financials of the Association and encourage everyone who is interested to join the budget planning committee in September and/or offer their help to the 2018 Reserve Study overview team.  Dan said he’d be happy to sit down with anyone to explain all he can.

*****

Of concern to the residents of the Village is the health and wellbeing of all our citizens.  To that end, Nettie and Barbara contacted senior services and returned with information which is now available in the clubhouse.  Larry will contact our attorney to confirm our belief that the Association has no liability if something unfortunate occurs.

 

There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 11:35 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Lana Mills, Secretary

 

Next meeting:  Thursday, August 9, 2018

 

 

Mar 12

2018-3-8 Board Meeting

THE VILLAGE AT CORDATA CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF THE MONTHLY BOARD MEETING
MARCH 8, 2018

The meeting was called to order at ten a.m. by President Larry Allen. Present were Board members: Pat Bergner, Ron Dickerson, Claire Gatter, Dan Keller, Bob Rose, and Lana Mills. Absent were
Henry Mitchell and Toni Whitmyer. Also attending were 22 residents.

The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Ron Dickerson
All bills have been paid and the Operating Fund balance was $35,063 as of February 28, 2018. The Replacement Funds balance was $125,429. Last year’s financial records are with the auditor and we hope it will be completed by next month’s meeting.
Also, an inspector from our insurance company was here this week to look us over and was pleased. He did encourage all of us to have carbon dioxide and smoke alarms installed in our homes.

BUILDINGS AND ROADS: John Eisenhardt
Larry introduced John to everyone and said John had agreed to act as B&R committee chairman for one year. John is a former building inspector. Since early January, he has spent time acquainting himself with all things VACCA and working with Pat Bergner. Since February 1, 23 work orders have been resolved. Seven new garage doors have been installed, with one more to be done.
Water in the crawlspace under 4852 NVL is being addressed now with electric issues next. Efforts are being made to resolve the drainage problems in that area. It may be necessary to replace some street drains.
Roy Teeter reported that there is a “roto-rooter” type drain cleaner stored in the woodshop, if needed.
Necessary siding replacement has started in preparation of the next painting phase which will probably begin in April. The siding contract does not include gutters. D-2 units have proved the worst for gutter problems.
All residents should report sightings of wild creatures and are asked to check their foundation vents for any sign of pest entry. We are frequently visited by raccoons, possums, rats and squirrels and, if given the chance, they can do a lot of damage. In an effort to cut their population down, everyone is asked to please not feed the birds. (Hummers okay.)
A list of suggested VACCA vendors is being prepared and will appear on the bulletin board as well as the website. These vendors have provided good service to VACCA and the Building and Roads Committee feels confident to pass their names along for anyone who may need them.

CLUBHOUSE: No report

CONDO SALES: Lana Mills
The sale of the B unit at 4355A Village Drive (Zatylny) is expected to close on March 23 to Kristine Kincaid. Six units, out of a possible seven, have been rented out.

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: Larry Allen
There will be a EP exercise in June (date to be announced) that will mainly affect North Village Lane, West VL and some units on Village Drive.

DOCUMENTS AND REVISIONS: No report

LANDSCAPING: Bubs Kroll
All crabapple trees have been pruned and hydrangeas deadheaded and pruned. Most of the lawns were mowed on Wednesday. Next up is flowerbed cleanup and trimming of vine maple trees.
On Monday, March 12, two trees are coming down. One fir tree is dead and a sweet gum is dying. The bid was for $1,060.
Todd and his crew request that they not be interrupted while they are operating machinery.
And, please, use the landscape work order forms.

POOL AND SPA: Ron Kowalski
Ron has been advised that Farmers Insurance will pay VACCA $6,000 for the damage done by A-1 Reglazing. A motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the $6,000 settlement.
Henry did a search of the Rules and Regs and found that to abandon the spa altogether would require a full vote of the owners. Closing up the spa is estimated to cost $4,000-5,000. (VACCA has already spent $12,000-$16,000.)
B&J Fiberglass gave a bid of $13,316 to repair the spa and return it to fully functioning. A lengthy discussion was held about whether to accept the bid or abandon the project, with the majority of the Board leaning to accepting the bid. A show of hands of the attending residents was held with an overwhelming YES vote. A motion was then made to spend $8,000 to repair the spa. It was seconded and approved by the Board. Two members voted no.
*****Ron again asked for a volunteer to do once-a-week small maintenance chores which would save us the $5,000/yr we now pay to the pool company. The job entails checking gauges, changing filters, etc. and requires no special training.

SECURITY: Bob Rose
Bob said it has been quiet, but some NVL residents reported hearing what sounded like gunshots last Saturday night. (3/3/18)

RV LOT: No Report

SOCIAL: Pat Hood
A Happy Hour will be held in the clubhouse at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, March 14, followed by the VACCA Annual Meeting at 6:30. Bob Reynolds has agreed to give a talk about the VACCA website which usually results in a spirited discussion with questions answered.

WEBSITE: No Report

WELCOME: No Report

WOODSHOP: No Report

NEW BUSINESS:
Larry reminded everyone that we need a quorum to have the Annual Meeting. If you are unable to attend, it is very important that you turn in your proxy.
A supply of blank proxies will be available at the bulletin board in the clubhouse if you need one.

Larry, on behalf of the Association, thanked owner, Jim Sands, for all the work he has done to keep VACCA on the FHA approved list. This must be done every two years.

There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 11:15 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Lana Mills, Secretary

The next Monthly Board meeting will be held on April 12, 2018.

1 2 3 5